REID - SCHROEDER Genealogies
Genealogies of the David REID and Evelyn SCHROEDER families
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska



 


Notes: Located at 6714 West State Highway 4, Beatrice, NE.
First Mennonite Church near Beatrice, Nebraska, was organized on 9 September 1877, by 34 families from Prussia with 138 members.
Since 1788 Prussian Mennonites had been migrating to Russia because of religious and economic restrictions. When in the 1870s Russia too introduced general military conscription, Prussian Mennonites began to consider emigration to America. Cornelius Jansen of Berdyansk and Wilhelm Ewert of Prussia paved the way. Some 30 families of the large Heubuden Mennonite Church and a few from the Elbing-Ellerwald Mennonite Church under the leadership of Elder Johann Andreas who were unwilling to accept non-combatant service, left Germany 15 June 1876, for America, stopping in Mount Pleasant, Iowa, where Cornelius Jansen temporarily resided. Under his guidance some families went to Beatrice, Nebraska, arriving there in February 1877, while others followed Peter Dyck to settle near Whitewater, Elbing, and Newton, Kansas.
The group at Beatrice was joined by some additional families from Heubuden on 19 June 1877, led by Elder Gerhard Penner, who died the next year. Elder Johann Andreas had died in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. For a time the newly organized church was served by the elders Isaak Peters of Henderson, Nebraska, and Leonhard Sudermann of Whitewater, Kansas, in addition to its own ministers, Andreas Penner and Heinrich Zimmermann. In 1888 Gerhard Penner, Jr., son of Elder Gerhard Penner, was ordained as minister and elder and served in this capacity until 1920, at which time he was succeeded by Franz Albrecht, 1920-1940. From 1940 to 1946 Walter H. Dyck served the congregation as the first full-time minister. He was succeeded by Jacob T. Friesen, 1947- .
For some time the congregation had several meeting places, one in Beatrice, one four miles (7 km) west of Beatrice erected in 1879 and patterned after the Heubuden church, and another some ten miles (16 km) west of the city, which was discontinued. The main sanctuary erected in 1879 was destroyed by fire the first year and immediately rebuilt after the same pattern. It was replaced by a large stone structure in 1951. Customs of worship and social life were continued and changed only with the infiltration of the English language after World War I, which is a partial explanation for the organization of the (Second) Beatrice Mennonite Church in 1926. Sunday school, young people’s organizations, and missionary interests were started during the first years. In 1892 the congregation joined the Western District Conference, in 1896 the General Conference Mennonite Church. Among the ten families that came from Khiva in 1884 were the ministers Johann Jantzen and Johannes K. Penner. The latter became one of the outstanding parochial teachers of the Mennonite community.
The Mennonite Bible Academy and the Beatrice Mennonite Deaconess Home and Hospital were established by the congregation. The 1953 membership of the congregation was 338; in 2006 it was 251. Numerous families have moved to other communities such as Paso Robles, California.

OpenStreetMap

Location : Latitude: 40.2855562, Longitude: -96.8114158


Buried

Matches 1 to 12 of 12

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    Buried    Person ID 
1 CLAASSEN, Johannes Peter  Abt Oct 1971First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I59638
2 CLAASSEN, Johannes T.  Abt Nov 1956First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I59640
3 ENNS, Christina  Abt Aug 1969First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I59637
4 ENSZ, Anna  17 Feb 1967First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I59643
5 FRIESEN, Helena H.  Abt Dec 1897First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I7519
6 JANTZEN, Cornelius  21 Jan 1958First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I59616
7 JANTZEN, Marie Magdalene  9 Jan 2006First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I59644
8 JANZEN, Cornelius  Abt Dec 1894First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I7526
9 PENNER, Anna  24 Nov 1904First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I48509
10 SCHROEDER, George Ulrich  Abt Sep 1895First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I349
11 SCHROEDER, Margarethe Gretchen  Abt 1895First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I347
12 ZIMMERMANN, Rev. Johann Heinrich  13 Feb 1902First Mennonite Church Cemetery, Beatrice, Gage, Nebraska I48508