REID - SCHROEDER Genealogies
Genealogies of the David REID and Evelyn SCHROEDER families
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]
Rev. Cyril (Cy) Irving REID

Rev. Cyril (Cy) Irving REID

Male 1915 - 2000  (84 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Cyril (Cy) Irving REID 
    Prefix Rev. 
    Born 12 Dec 1915  Reid Farmhouse, Oasis, Monterey, California Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    • ~7 miles south of King City
    Gender Male 
    Address Address:
    Cyril (Cy) Irving REID , Rev. 
    Baptism Abt 1926  First Baptist Church, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, California Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died 5 Sep 2000  Evergreen Vista Convalescent Center, Kirkland, King, Washington Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Cremated 7 Sep 2000  Kirkland, King, Washington Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • His ashes were flown down to California with his second wife, Erma, and her daughter, Marya. They were buried with his first wife, Ruby, two days later in a small, private graveside service.
    Education BIOLA, Wheaton ('41), Dallas Theological Seminary ('45) 
    Health Non-insulin dependent diabetes; Hypertension; Prostate Cancer; Retinal central vein thrombosis; Arteriosclerotic heart disease with PTCA/ stents/ rotoblading in March 2000. Cholelithiasis with Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in May 2000; Acute Renal Failure with hemodialysis for one month in May 2000 (post-op). Died of probable heart attack in Evergreen Vista Convalescent Center, at 9:55 am, just after having returned to his room from eating breakfast in the dining room. Collapsed at his bedside, CPR unsuccessful. 
    History SSDI states card issued in California before 1951. He was married a second time to Erma Reber on 12 Aug 1998 in Everett, Washington, four months after the annulment of their first marriage. 
    Occupation Minister, Musician (Violin, Vocal) 
    Religion Baptist, Presbyterian 
    Social Security Number 561-18-3860 
    Buried 9 Sep 2000  Fairhaven Memorial Park, Santa Ana, Orange, California Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Lot 162, #5, Lawn R
    • All three of us children, Maurice, Joyce and myself, were born in that little Oasis farmhouse. Mother would call on one of her sisters to live with us a few days during these maternity occasions. Then at the last minute, the doctor from King City, some 11 miles away, would be called and he would try to beat the stork. I actually remember very little of those early years (8) on that farm. But I do remember that machines were already beginning to replace the horse. Times got bad. Depression was already beginning to affect us.
      Finally the folks decided not to fight it anymore, so they sold the farm and auctioned off all the stock and equipment. Dad had located a foremanship job over at the Stone Ranch about 5 miles to the north and west of Paso Robles some 50 miles to the south of our farm. The farm house was ours to live in as Dad managed the farm. We had quite a variety of crops there with grain, almonds and apricots being the three major ones, but we also had considerable crops in peaches, prunes, plums, apples, pears and some grapes. Our first car was a used 1917 Dodge 4-door Touring Car.
      As farm kids, Maurice and I always had our share of chores; rounding up the horses in late afternoon, milking a few cows, gathering eggs, feeding the chickens (and a few turkeys), chopping the kindling and the wood for the cookstove and the heater in the winter -- very little time for just play.
      School was a one-room country schoolhouse with one teacher for grades one through six, and a good two miles from home. Christmas presents of used bikes eventually helped ease that problem somewhat. I can still remember the first day I was caught in a heavy rainstorm as I was coming home. My brother must have been sick because I was alone. One mile of the route was along the highway -- no problem. The second mile was up and down a hilly adobe dirt road. What an experience! As you may know, adobe sticks almost better than glue. A few revolutions of the wheel and they locked solidly as the adobe piled up thicker and thicker between the wheel and the forks. I tried pushing, pulling, dragging, yelling, crying -- all to no avail. Now the bike weighed twice its weight and I'm possibly a slightly built 10 year old. It was all a hopeless mess. What should I do? Just as I was about to give up and push it over the bank into the brush, I heard the clop, clop, clop of a horse. Around the bend came Dad all bundled up in rain gear, riding old Nellie, one of our white horses. He helped me backtrack about a quarter of a mile where I could leave the bike in the barn of a neighbor until the weather improved. Then he pulled me up behind him on old Nellie and we were homeward bound.
      A couple of bad years with the crops and a tightening of the purse strings with the owner caused Dad to begin looking for another place to land. Actually, the depression was taking its toll among so many families, not only ours. Jobs were hard to come by. But Dad found one opportunity available in Paso Robles. It must have been a painful decision for the folks, but a job was a job. So Dad took the leap and bought the Garbage Disposal Business Contract for the city. The present owner, because of age and health, was being forced to retire. It was basically a one-man, one-truck business for the 5,000 residents. So we moved into a rental house in town for the time being, but in about a year, the folks bought the old two-story house at 1803 Pine Street which you kids remember so well. I believe it cost in the neighborhood of $3,000. At the same time, I was starting Jr. High School and would have had to bus into town for school anyhow.
      We kids didn't really know how poor we were. We always had the basics and occasionally a little (but very little) of the frosting. Maurice and I learned what it was to carry our share again. We alternated rising at 4 or 4:30 AM seven mornings a week and making some early morning rounds downtown with Dad. One of the major projects was that of picking up street sweepings left in small piles along the curbs in the downtown business district. A father and son team had been along an hour or two earlier, cleaning the streets with large pushbrooms. Then home for breakfast and off to school. Following our last class we hurried home, changed our clothes and caught up with Dad to help him complete that day's route. Home again in time for supper, some practicing and homework, then off to bed since 4 AM comes around pretty fast. We never saw any monetary reward -- no allowances -- but never were really without as far as we knew.
      I remember occasionally on long, cold, wintry nights back on the farm, Dad used to dig out an old Montgomery Ward violin and scratch out a few tunes by ear. He really played the harmonica better. He could truly get you jumpin' and thumpin' on that thing. So when I started the 7th grade in town, I was going to get to learn to play the violin. A local teacher was found and I began weekly lessons, joined the sad little orchestra and was thus introduced to music. As a family, we became active in the First Baptist Church and this rounded out our entire life -- Work, School and Church.
      As I improved, music became a prominent activity. In High School, I took up the trumpet in order to play with the band. For awhile, I played Baritone Sax to fill out a Sax quartet. Later, three of us fellows combined our vocal and instrumental talents and formed a western group including violins, guitars, banjos, harmonicas and saws. We played around the county at various functions quite regularly, mostly farm bureau meetings and business clubs.
      With all this extra activity and work, my grades suffered somewhat. For the most part, sports were out of the question with my schedule, nor was I that hefty until my Senior year. I did get involved with track and field in a small way, running, jumping and pole vaulting. However, as we came to graduation, I disappointed my mother greatly. One night during that closing week, honors and awards were given out. I was committed to playing in both the Band and the Orchestra and possibly receive a letter for track and field. I must have minimized the importance of the evening, so Mom didn't bother going. Would you believe it? The very last item on the agenda for the evening was the awarding of a cup with the imprinted names of one fellow and one girl who were outstanding in several areas: scholarship, citizenship and sportsmanship, I believe. I was sitting in the back row of the Orchestra with my fiddle under one arm and my trumpet in the other ready to take off for home, when over the loudspeaker I heard the announcer call out my name. What a shocker! I don't think my Mother ever forgave me for not clueing her in. But this was the one award that was kept totally secretive.
      Following graduation, a small evangelistic team invited me to join them as their song leader and one-man band. It was those few months in the Oregon area that impressed upon me how inadequately equipped I really was for such a ministry. So I followed a bunch of my friends to BIOLA, when it was still located at 6th and Hope Streets in L.A. And there I learned enough to realize I really needed a more formal education, too. So off to Wheaton College where a number of friends had gone before me.
      I should mention a few notable memories of BIOLA. I worked for cafeterias, restaurants, and the school dining hall at about 25¢ to 30¢ an hour in order to stay there. I sang in a quartet, taught Sunday School classes and did considerable song leading in the area. Socially, I was always somewhat bashful, especially around the girls. Group situations was the better deal for me. But I did fall for a Seattle gal who was terrific at the piano and was in a number of my music classes. We seemed to strike it off and enjoy each others company, but as time wore on (2 years), I began to feel there was something lacking and I'd better back off before things got too serious. That was about the hardest thing that I had ever done to date. But as politely as possible, I informed her that we should discontinue seeing each other.
      Next fall, at registration time, as I walked into one of the offices, I bumped into a Big Sister of my class showing a new student around. We barely met just in passing. But WOW!!! She had dark brown eyes that lit up the room, a warm captivating smile, a rather coy and bashful tilt of the head, close cropped hair, and neatly dressed. What a picture! When our eyes met, something turned over in me. Hopefully I kept my outward composure. Months passed and I watched from a distance. Finally I got up enough courage to ask Ruby Cox to go with me to a presentation of "The Elijah" just down the street at the big Methodist Church. That was the beginning. These occasions increased in frequency, in fact, we became rather inseparable the next few months until school let out. I managed to get the folks to take one of their rare vacation trips -- of course, to the great Northwest and to Bellingham for two or three days where they too, met Ruby.
      I was on my way to Wheaton come Fall. BIOLA was going through quite a personnel upheaval, and Ruby was discouraged about returning into that mess. Because she had a brother (Glen) already in Wheaton (and possibly for other reasons), she decided she too would transfer there. It probably wasn't the most profitable thing, study-wise, to be there together, but it was great for a couple of love birds who found it difficult to be separated.
      Very early in our first year, Dr. Edman, then a mere History Professor, was teaching a Sunday School Class at what was referred to as the Wheaton Tabernacle. Having observed me leading the singing for various Freshman activities, he asked me to help him with the music for his class, which basically filled the small auditorium. He later took over the pulpit ministry there and carried me over into that, too. Then came quartet activities. We also became the official quartet for the Le Tourneau Camp at Winona Lake, Indiana, for a few summers, serving in addition, as counselors (including song leading and bugle playing for me). The summer of 1940 resulted in a tour of the Western States by the quartet.
      Our senior year was a tough one. Ruby had burned herself out, and around Easter time she broke under the strain and was placed in the Infirmary for several days. It shook me up and even scared me. I had already been dreading taking those "Comprehensives" which were required by all before graduating. And Ruby was in no condition to prepare for them, much less take them at this point. Right or wrong, we let this persuade us to pack our bags and head for home. Without consulting with anyone, virtually, I loaded our things into the big, black 1933 Studebaker sedan (which the quartet had toured in), and we headed across the country to Bellingham, Washington.
      What a shock to both families, though they tried hard not to show it. I got a job first with Sears, then Standard Stations, in order to make ends meet. We'd been going together for some four years, so we decided to get married that summer (22 June 1941), and face our problems together. As we gained control, we knew that we must get back to Wheaton and redo that unfinished semester and graduate. We paid $13 a month rental for our first little house.
      In fact, I had come to the conclusion that music alone would probably not be that satisfying. While I felt less than average as a speaker, somehow I knew the Lord wanted me to prepare fully for the pulpit ministry. So I applied early to Dallas Theological Seminary (DTS) and was accepted in lieu of graduation. In a matter of weeks, Pearl Harbor hit the headlines. Next February saw us back at the books in Wheaton. And the Draft Board decided to exempt, among others, all seminary students and approved applicants. What a relief!
      A Frank C. Torrey in Lancaster, Pa. needed a song leader and soloist for that summer of 1942. His custom each summer was to put up a tent on the edge of town for a summer-long series of conferences -- Evangelistic, Bible Study, Missionary, etc. He asked his Wheatonite son to seek out a likely candidate and I was it. We managed to get to Dallas in time for registration, however, in 1942. Mother Cox died 3 Oct. 1942.
      Once in Dallas, we both worked in a Defense Factory under three Christian brothers, served various churches and some extended Evangelistic Meetings. Again, I was involved in a quartet, this time for Young Life in their beginning organizational years alongside its founder, Jim Rayburn, who had just graduated from DTS.
      One hot August day in 1943 (1 Aug), we rushed Ruby to the hospital where we awaited our first bundle of joy, named Donald Eugene. And before we left Dallas, Judith Carolyn (11 Apr 1945) had arrived on the scene to bless our growing family.
      In my Junior year, I received an invitation from the First Baptist Church in Riverside, California, to consider being their Song Leader and Soloist for a two week evangelistic ministry with a named evangelist, Bron Clifford. The school usually frowned on anyone but seniors taking on such assignments, but they reluctantly let me go. While there, another young seminary graduate was seeking ordination by the church. The pastor, Dr. William Catherwood, asked me if I would like to be considered for ordination at the same time. I quickly threw a Doctrinal Statement together and did receive my Ordination.
      Before graduation date rolled around, a second invitation came from Riverside with the additional request for me to remain there on the staff at the conclusion of the two week meeting with the same evangelist. Due to World War II, DTS had accelerated their courses right through the summer months. That placed my graduation in late November 1945. We had a month to pack, move and get settled and then right into the early January meeting and on into my new job as Assistant Pastor and Youth Director. While in Riverside, our third and final child, David, was born (2 Nov 1948), and as well both our fathers died; Dad Reid on 8 Apr 1949, and Dad Cox on 23 Sept 1949.
      Due to health and aging, Dr. Catherwood finally resigned from that pulpit. I remained on for a few months as Interim Pastor. La Jolla First Baptist Church was looking for a pastor at about that same time, as were a few others. We decided in favor of La Jolla and moved there in May 1951. It was not an easy field and especially my first full pastorate. There we were eventually called upon to lead in a building program for a new sanctuary. Our effectiveness finally wore thin, having pushed so hard to complete the building. Trinity Baptist Church in Concord, California. came looking for a new pastor. We responded and moved north in Feb 1959. But there again, we were urged to help them get into a new sanctuary. They had been using merely a fellowship hall for their services. Same story again, there. We resigned in 1964. I turned down a few offers and decided to step aside from the pulpit ministry at least for awhile. Mother Reid died 26 Oct 1962.
      We went to Seattle during this transitional stage and worked with churches in making up pictorial directories. I also did some studying and training for the securities investment field. We returned to California (Orange County) in 1965, taking a salesjob with Investors Diversified Services (IDS) based in Minneapolis, MN.-- one of the largest. But when the economy flattened out in 1969-70, I began substitute teaching in the Anaheim Unified School District (High Schools mainly), finally majoring in Driver Education throughout the district. Unable to land a full-time contract without pursuing considerable educational courses, I became disenchanted. Developing a yen to travel, I sought employment with Global Van Lines, realizing with them I could get paid while traveling. I bought a big rig and hit the road for about three years until Ruby resigned her teaching profession and began to feel the emptiness of the house two or three weeks at a time while I was making a turn-around. So I notified Global I would probably be hanging up my keys in a couple of months, thinking I'd find some similar connection but near home base. Global asked me to stay on as a Recruiter and Trainer for the new guys coming up, which I did for the next four years. I retired a few days after my 65th birthday, Dec 1980.
      During those last four years, Ruby became very restless and bored. We had talked numerous times, and especially with the heavy inflation of those Carter years, about our own inadequate bank account and retirement nestegg. We must do something to beef it up and something to outrun or counterbalance inflation. As you children will recall, pyramiding real estate became the answer, with Ruby carrying the lion's share of the management load. As you also know, it proved to be the springboard we needed to put our assets ahead of our deficits and to give us a sense of financial independence and security.
      God truly has been good to us in so many ways down through the years, and we are and will be eternally grateful. As of this writing, we have just settled into our new home in Hemet, California. I hope this little piece of history might be both informative and enjoyable.

      Dated: 30 Aug 1984
      Signed: Cyril I. Reid

      Cy and Erma

      It was in the Fall of 1934 when a young lady from the city and a young man from a small country town met, and repeatedly so, in the music classes of BIOLA. A small spark grew into a flame. Many happy hours came and went.
      A couple of years later, unseen winds and cross-currents caused the flame to flicker and dim. Pictures and momentos were returned. Separation and distance were allowed to develop. The immaturity of youth seemed unable to right the ship.
      Finally, each went his and her own way, and in time fell into favor with another, notwithstanding the tiny, still-flickering flame and the continued friendship across the miles that never completely died.
      Wind currents, as it were, took them to many places and through many experiences - some good, some bad. Families were raised, ministries pursued, friends made, hardships endured and loved ones laid to rest.
      Late in life their paths began to cross again. Flickering flames stood at attention. Cool breezes fanned them into action. Distances were dissolved, friendships restored, flames rekindled, memories exchanged ... and you guessed it. The two are back together again in the happiest bond that only two people can know.
      Only an all-knowing, all-seeing God could have pulled this off so perfectly and precisely. He is to be praised and glorified!
      Since coming full-circle after sixty-two years, there's a lot of catching up to do.

      Author: Cy Reid (regarding his engagement to Erma Reber)
      Dated: 1 June 1997 [6]
    Person ID I5  Reid Family | David's side of the family
    Last Modified 4 Dec 2017 

    Father Warren Irving REID,   b. 30 May 1883, Chico, Butte, California Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 8 Apr 1949, French Hospital, San Luis Obispo, San Luis Obispo, California Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 65 years) 
    Mother Bertha (Birdie) Violet RAMAGE,   b. 27 Oct 1884, Pleyto, Monterey, California Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 Oct 1962, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, California Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 78 years) 
    Married 10 Apr 1911  San Luis Obispo Co., California Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Reid, Warren I.-1883 & Extended Family (~1936)
    Reid, Warren I.-1883 & Extended Family (~1936)
    Back Row: Maurice Allen Reid-1913, Alexander William Reid-1869, George Lillie Reid-1885, Warren Irving Reid-1883
    Front Row: Alice Elizabeth Benner-1879 (second wife of Alexander), Joyce Elaine Reid-1923, Bertha Violet Ramage-1884 (wife of Warren)
    Taken about 1936.
    Ramage Family Reunion-1917
    Ramage Family Reunion-1917
    Reid, Warren I.-1883 & Ramage, Bertha V. (10 Apr 1911)
    Reid, Warren I.-1883 & Ramage, Bertha V. (10 Apr 1911)
    Taken on their wedding day, 10 Apr 1911.
    Reid Monument KC Cemetery
    Reid Monument KC Cemetery
    Family ID F12  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 Ruby Carol COX,   b. 9 Jun 1917, Bellingham, Whatcom, Washington Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 18 Oct 1996, Hemet Valley Hospital, Hemet, Riverside, California Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 79 years) 
    Married 22 Jun 1941  Cox Backyard, Bellingham, Whatcom, Washington Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • 2619 Walnut St., Bellingham, Washington
    +1. Living
    +2. Living
     3. Judith (Judi) Carolyn REID,   b. 11 Apr 1945, Dallas, Dallas, Texas Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 12 Feb 2007, Windsor Gardens Convalescent Hospital, Anaheim, Orange, California Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 61 years)
    Reid, C&R Wed
    Reid, C&R Wed
    22 Jun 1941.
    Cox Sisters, Rhoda & Ruby with husbands (1982)
    Cox Sisters, Rhoda & Ruby with husbands (1982)
    Taken in 1982 at the Lyle’s home in Washington.
    Reid, Cyril I.-1915 & Ruby (Jun 1991)
    Reid, Cyril I.-1915 & Ruby (Jun 1991)
    Taken at their 50th wedding anniversary.
    Reid, Cy-1915 & Ruby Family-Jun 1991
    Reid, Cy-1915 & Ruby Family-Jun 1991
    Back Row: Donald Eugene-1943, Judy (Kyser) Reid-1941, Amy Janine-1972, Kathleen Renee-1975, Evelyn Ruth (Schroeder) Reid-1946, David Allan-1948.
    Front Row: Steven Marshall-1971, Judi Carolyn-1945, Cyril Irving-1915, Ruby (Cox) Reid-1917, Michael David-1977.
    Taken at the residence of Fred and Dee Schroeder on the 50th wedding anniversary of Cy and Ruby Reid in June 1991.
    Reid, Cyril I.-1915 & Family (Jun 1994)
    Reid, Cyril I.-1915 & Family (Jun 1994)
    Sitting: David A. Reid-1948, Ruby C. (Cox) Reid-1917, Judi C. Reid-1945
    Standing: Cyril I. Reid-1915, Donald E. Reid-1943
    Taken in Jun 1994 at Ruby Reid’s 77th birthday celebration at Cyril and Ruby’s home in Hemet, California.
    Reid, Cyril & Ruby (Fairhaven)
    Reid, Cyril & Ruby (Fairhaven)
    Fairhaven Memorial Park, Santa Ana, California
    Lot 162, #5, Lawn R
    Family ID F4  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Erma Gertrude REBER,   b. 19 Apr 1916, Chehalis, Lewis, Washington Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 12 Dec 2013, Cristwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Shoreline, King, Washington Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 97 years) 
    Married 28 Jun 1997  Everett, Snohomish, Washington Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • at Erma’s niece Cynthia's Home
    Annulled 24 Apr 1998  Ballard, Seattle, King, Washington Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F6141  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 12 Dec 1915 - Reid Farmhouse, Oasis, Monterey, California Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBaptism - Abt 1926 - First Baptist Church, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, California Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 22 Jun 1941 - Cox Backyard, Bellingham, Whatcom, Washington Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 28 Jun 1997 - Everett, Snohomish, Washington Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsAnnulled - 24 Apr 1998 - Ballard, Seattle, King, Washington Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 5 Sep 2000 - Evergreen Vista Convalescent Center, Kirkland, King, Washington Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsCremated - 7 Sep 2000 - Kirkland, King, Washington Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - 9 Sep 2000 - Fairhaven Memorial Park, Santa Ana, Orange, California Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 
    Pin Legend  : Address       : Location       : City/Town       : County/Shire       : State/Province       : Country       : Not Set

  • Photos
    Reid, Cyril I
    Reid, Cyril I
    Taken at his 50th Anniversary to Ruby Cox in June 1991.
    Reid, Cyril Irving-1915 (~1933)
    Reid, Cyril Irving-1915 (~1933)
    Taken about 1933.
    Reid, Cyril Irving-1915 (1917)
    Reid, Cyril Irving-1915 (1917)
    Reid Siblings & cousin (Feb 1987)
    Reid Siblings & cousin (Feb 1987)
    Eugene (Gene) Reid-1914 (close cousin), and three Reid siblings; Joyce-1923, Cyril-1915 and Maurice-1913.
    Taken at the 50th wedding anniversary of Maurice and Mildred Reid in February 1987.
    Ramage Family Reunion-1917
    Ramage Family Reunion-1917
    Reid, Cyril Irving-1915 (1982)
    Reid, Cyril Irving-1915 (1982)
    Taken in 1982 at the Lyle’s home in Washington.

  • Sources 
    1. [S202] Social Security Death Index (SSDI).

    2. [S239] United States Federal Census, Peachtree, Monterey, California; Enumeration District #283, Pg. 5B.

    3. [S240] United States Federal Census, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, California; Enumeration District #40-15, Pg. 3B.

    4. [S241] United States Federal Census, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, California; Enumeration District #40-16, Pg. 3A.

    5. [S380] California Birth Index.

    6. [S8] Recollections of Cyril Irving REID.